About the 95th
Visit the other 95th Bomb Group Heritage Association sites:
Our Facebook Page
Our YouTube Channel
The 95th in the USA
Horham airfield – Station 119 – was a sprawling base spanning four parishes. Parts of the base were not only in Horham itself but also in Denham, Redlingfield and Hoxne. Its two hangars were on the south of the airfield and the technical site was next to them, beside the B1117 Eye-Horham road.
Station HQ, administrative buildings and living sites were temporary buildings mainly to the west in Denham. The size of the base meant bikes and jeeps were the preferred method of transport within the base. After short stays at Alconbury and Framlingham the 95th Bomb Group finally arrived at Horham on June 15th 1943 and Station 119 was to be its home for more than two years.
It was also HQ for the 13th Combat Bombardment Wing of the 3rd Bomb Division – which was in charge of not only the 95th Bomb Group but also the 100th BG at Thorpe Abbotts and 390th BG at Framlingham/Parham. As well as the 95th’s four bomb squadrons – the 334th, 335th, 336th and the 412th – the base was home to all the associated groups needed to keep the 95th running.
Despite having food and drink that was the envy of the heavily rationed Suffolk villagers and other facilities the locals could only dream of the men of the 95th lived mainly in metal nissen huts through the tough English winters with only small pot-bellied stoves to keep them warm.
Various B&W shots from around the base